A serious injury can lead to a wide range of physical, emotional, and financial problems. Injury lawyers in San Francisco are here to help with these difficulties during your time of need. At Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard, our San Francisco injury lawyers recognize the immense impact severe injuries have, both on victims and their loved ones. Our San Francisco personal injury lawyers are here to help you fight for the justice you deserve. By filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit, you can seek fair financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. Our goal is to protect you against the interests of the insurance company and advocate for your maximum recovery.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our team has decades of collective experience handling all types of complex personal injury cases, including claims involving:
- Brain injuries
- Bus accidents
- Car accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Slip and falls
- Spine injuries
- Truck accidents
- Wrongful death
No matter how complicated or challenging your case may be, our San Francisco injury attorneys are here to provide the personal attention and dedicated advocacy you need. We have a long, proven history of success and have built our practice on a foundation of client-focused, results-driven representation. You would be hard pressed to find a Bay Area personal injury attorney who is as focused on your needs as on of our San Francisco injury lawyers.
Who Can File a Personal Injury Claim?
California law allows nearly anyone who is injured or otherwise harmed due to the negligent or wrongful conduct of another person or party to file a personal injury claim.
There are several things you must prove to have a successful claim:
- The party against whom you are bringing the claim (the “defendant”) owed you a duty of care
- The defendant breached the duty of care, either by acting negligently or wrongfully
- You were injured and/or suffered measurable damages (whether economic or non-economic)
- Your injuries were directly or proximately caused by the defendant’s conduct
Proving each of these elements often requires an extensive investigation, supporting evidence, and the testimony of expert witnesses. At Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard, we have the necessary experience, resources, and skills to build a powerful case on your behalf. We work with a team of experts to put together available evidence, reconstruct accident scenes, and develop innovative legal strategies aimed at securing the best possible results for your personal injury case in San Francisco.
What Are Common Personal Injuries?
Personal injury cases involve a wide array of accidents and injuries, from minor scrapes and bruises to life-altering disabilities. Common personal injuries include:
- Broken Bones: Broken bones occur when a bone is fractured or crushed due to trauma, such as a fall or car accident. Depending on the severity of the injury, broken bones can take months to heal and require extensive medical treatment, surgery, and physical therapy.
- Lacerations: Lacerations are cuts that are deep enough to break through the skin layers and cause bleeding. These injuries may be caused by sharp objects or blunt force impacts from an object such as a baseball bat hitting an arm or leg.
- Spinal Cord Injury: A spinal cord injury occurs when there is damage to any part of the spinal cord resulting in partial paralysis below the site of injury – commonly referred to as paraplegia – or total paralysis if all four limbs – quadriplegia.
- Head Injuries/Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): TBIs range in severity from mild concussions that resolve quickly to more severe cases where long-term effects occur. With rest and time away from physical/mental activities, lighter injuries like concussions are easily resolved. However, serious TBIs can result in long term effects including difficulty speaking, memory problems, mood changes, impaired cognitive functioning, etc. depending on which area(s) of the brain were injured during impact.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: These involve damage to muscles, tendons, and ligaments due to sudden or repeated trauma. Common soft tissue injuries include whiplash (which is caused by the violent jerking of the head back and forth), sprains, strains, and contusions.
No matter what type of injury you have sustained, one thing remains true – you need reliable legal help from a San Francisco personal injury attorney who will protect your rights and ensure that justice is served. Ayala Morgan & Buzzard is here to handle all types of complex personal injury cases in San Francisco and throughout California’s Bay Area. We strive to provide our clients with comprehensive legal services designed to secure the best possible results.
Can You File a Personal Injury Claim If You Were Partly at Fault?
While some accidents are truly the result of a single person or party’s negligence, many involve shared fault. When this is the case, an injured individual may still file a personal injury claim even if they share some of the blame for the incident that caused their injuries. However, their degree of fault will directly affect the amount they can recover for their damages.
California’s rule of pure comparative negligence does not require you to prove that the other party was entirely at fault—or even mostly—at fault for you to file a claim. However, if you were significantly more to blame than the defendant, you may have a tougher time proving your case. Additionally, regardless of your degree of fault, you will not be able to recover the full amount you are seeking in damages if you are found to be partly to blame.
For example, if the insurance adjuster finds that you were 25 percent to blame for the accident that caused your injuries, your total recovery will be reduced by 25 percent. In other words, you will only be able to recover up to 75 percent of the total amount you are seeking. If you disagree with the insurance adjuster’s assessment of fault, you can dispute their findings.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in San Francisco?
It is important that you work with a knowledgeable and experienced attorney who can protect your rights. At Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard, we know how to fight back against insurance companies’ efforts to dispute or devalue your claim. Our San Francisco personal injury attorneys are happy to answer your questions and address any concerns you may have.
We recognize that the aftermath of a serious accident or injury can be overwhelming. Our team is here to assist you every step of the way, from finding proper medical care to getting your vehicle or personal property repaired to communicating with the insurance company and seeking fair compensation for your losses.
When you trust your case to our firm, we will handle every legal detail so that you can focus on healing and moving forward with your life.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Case?
In California, you only have two years to sue a liable party for personal injury (in most cases). Known as the “statute of limitations,” this deadline typically extends from the date of injury; however, in cases involving injuries that were not immediately discoverable, the deadline may be deferred to two years from the date of discovery. In any case, it is important that you act quickly. Over time, evidence can be lost, and memories can fade. The sooner you reach out to our San Francisco personal injury lawyers, the sooner we can begin putting together a persuasive case on your behalf.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
Although many people understandably want to know how much their claim is worth, it is not possible to accurately estimate the value of a given personal injury claim without first reviewing the specific details involved. There are many factors that affect the value of a claim, from the severity of the victim’s injuries to the extent of their damages to the insurance coverage available under the applicable policy. We encourage you to reach out to our team at Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard to learn more about your claim’s potential value. We offer free consultations and case evaluations at absolutely no obligation to you.
When you turn to Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard, we will be your advocate from the moment you call until the moment your case is resolved. Our goal is to protect you from insurance adjusters who would seek to limit your recovery by fighting for the full, fair compensation you are owed. We are committed to our clients and take pride in offering highly personalized and professional legal services. We handle cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not owe any legal fees unless we recover a settlement or verdict for you.