Brentwood Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Helping Injured Cyclists in Contra Costa County
If you were injured in a bicycle accident in Brentwood, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. However, obtaining this compensation is not always easy. California is a "fault" state when it comes to car accident liability, and insurance companies are often reluctant to pay out bicycle accident claims.
That’s why it’s important to have an experienced bicycle accident lawyer on your side.
At Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard, we have been helping injured bicyclists get the compensation they need for over 40 years. We are committed to providing compassionate, personalized legal representation to each and every one of our clients, and we have the skills and resources to take on even the most complex bicycle accident cases.
We offer free initial consultations, and we never charge any fees unless we win your case.
How Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard Can Help
Our bicycle accident attorneys in Brentwood, CA can help you:
- Determine the full extent of your injuries and how they will affect you in the future
- Calculate the total value of your claim
- File a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company
- Handle all communication with the insurance company
- Negotiate with the insurance company to get you a fair settlement
- File a lawsuit and take your case to trial, if necessary
After a bicycle accident, you may be contacted by the at-fault party’s insurance company. The insurance company may offer you a settlement. While it can be tempting to accept this settlement, it’s important to keep in mind that the insurance company is not on your side.
The insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible for your claim, and they may try to get you to say something that can be used against you later.
When you hire our firm, we will handle all communication with the insurance company on your behalf. We will not let the insurance company take advantage of you, and we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
We will conduct a thorough investigation into your bike accident to determine who was at fault. We will collect all available evidence, including the police report, traffic camera footage, and witness statements. We may also consult with accident reconstruction experts and other experts, as needed.
We will aggressively negotiate with the insurance company to get you a fair settlement. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
Available Compensation for Bike Accident Victims
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for both your economic and non-economic losses. Economic losses are those that have a specific dollar value (e.g., medical bills), while non-economic losses are those that don’t have a specific dollar value (e.g., pain and suffering).
After a bike crash, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of a limb
- Permanent disability
- And more
Why You Shouldn't Wait to Call a Lawyer
In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years from the date of the accident. If you fail to file a claim within this two-year time frame, you will likely be barred from recovering any compensation for your losses. However, there are exceptions to this rule. When you contact an attorney at our firm, we can review the facts of your case and ensure that you file your bicycle accident claim within the appropriate time frame.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Most bicycle accidents are caused by motorist negligence.
Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Failing to yield to bicyclists
- Unsafe lane changes
- Opening car doors into the path of bicyclists
- Unsafe road conditions
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
After a bicycle accident, it’s important to take the following steps to protect your health and your right to compensation:
- Get to safety: If you are able to move, get yourself out of the road and to a safe location. If you are unable to move, stay where you are and wait for help to arrive.
- Call 911: If you were hit by a car, you should call 911 and report the accident to the police. The police will create an accident report, which can be a valuable piece of evidence in your bicycle accident claim.
- Get medical attention: Even if you don’t think you were seriously injured in the accident, you should still get a medical evaluation. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries, may not become apparent until hours or even days after the accident. It’s also important to follow your doctor’s treatment plan and attend all follow-up appointments.
- Exchange information: You should get the driver’s name, contact information, and insurance information. You should also get the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures: If you are able, you should take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to your bicycle, the damage to the vehicle that hit you, and your injuries. Pictures can be a valuable piece of evidence in a bicycle accident claim.
- Don’t admit fault: After an accident, it’s natural to want to apologize or say that you’re sorry, even if you didn’t do anything wrong. However, these statements can be used against you later. That’s why it’s important to avoid admitting fault or saying you’re sorry after a bicycle accident.
- Call a lawyer: It’s a good idea to call a bicycle accident lawyer in Brentwood as soon as possible after a crash. A lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and handle all communication with the insurance company.
Tell Us About Your Case in a Free Consultation
At Ayala, Morgan & Buzzard, we understand how devastating a bicycle accident can be. Our goal is to help you get the compensation you need to move on with your life. We have the skills, resources, and experience to handle all types of bicycle accident claims, including those involving catastrophic injuries and wrongful death.
We offer a free initial consultation, and we take all bicycle accident cases on a contingency basis. That means you don’t have to worry about any upfront legal fees or costs. You can focus on getting better while we focus on your case.
Contact our Brentwood bike accident lawyers at (925) 744-8869 to schedule your free consultation.